Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Creativity

I often wonder why I don't always feel creative. I can sit down in the craft room and look at books and look online at cards and designs and not feel inspired at all, until I have been there for over an hour or so. Sometimes, I will just sit there, with the TV on for 'background', and play 'Hearts' on the computer for a while before I actually feel like getting down to "work".

Making cards should not be work. It should be fun and relaxing and exciting because my creative juices are flowing.....but...not always.

Sometimes I have tons of ideas and can hardly wait to get to it and at other times, I think I know what I want to create until I get there. Then suddenly none of my paper is the right kind, or colour, or weight, or I don't have just the right stamp to use.....and, as with all other stampers, scrapbookers and cardmakers I know, I have tons of stamps (correct?!?!) !

There are times when I can hardly concentrate on everyday things because the urge to create is so strong that it needs to come out of me - but those are the times when I am not near my craft room, or don't have the time to sit down and just surround myself with the papers, inks, etc to play with for a few hours at a time. When I find myself in this situation I make a promise that as soon as I can I will make the time to spend in the craft room. But, invariably, when that time comes, I spend at least an hour trying to 'get in the mood'....(for crafting!).

I am almost always happy with my finished cards (almost but not always), so why do I procrastinate, or fidget, and not just get right to it?

Do other people suffer from this same experience? I find it frustrating, because I think that if I could just start in immediately 'creating" I could come up with a bunch of cards in one sitting, instead of perhaps producing one only, and feeling lucky to even get that one.

I also notice that I will get into a pattern and for a few cards, they are all made the same, using the same types of materials. e.g., all using cuttlebug embossing, or circle punches, or the same stamp set. I don't know why that is...one of life's little mysteries, I suppose.


No comments:

Post a Comment